Addiction is an unsafe place to be. It is that point in your life where you feel enslaved to a kind of struggle, habits, or sin.
Addictions can range from lust to fantasy, wrong imaginations, sexual immorality, pornography, masturbation, fornication, adultery, substance, drug games, social media, they can just be any of these things. And sometimes it looks so overwhelming that it feels like it is impossible to come out of that bondage. But for every addiction, you find yourself in, something is powering it, there is a need, that you are trying to fill, there is a void that you’re trying to fill. And you have found those addictions as the right drug that can be used to fill that void.
But we know that Christ has given us freedom. And when we know the truth, the truth sets us free. God has made us as humans who can rely on him and not try to solve everything by ourselves. The Bible says that we should come to him all we that are burdened and heavy laden and he will give us rest. The Lord is interested in helping us find the solutions to our greatest desires. What we need is Jesus. Jesus is the bread of life.
We need the power of the Holy Spirit to help us to overcome the struggles that easily befall us. And we know also that if we must fulfill the mandate that God has given to us and fulfill the purpose for which we have been born to do. We have to let go of the sin that easily befalls us, the sin that ensnares us, the weights that we are carrying.
But wherever you find yourself now, I want you to know that if you begin to have the right support system, you engage with the word and find alternatives that can help you regain your true self, you’ll be on the way to recovery, and victory. Most importantly, finding your identity in Christ will help you see yourself as a victor and not a victim.
Here are 14 scriptures you can use while struggling with an addiction in your life.
- 2 Timothy 1:7 – For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2. Titus 2:1 – 12 – For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
3. Romans 13:12 – The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us, therefore, cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.
4. Ephesians 5:15 – See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
5. 1 Corinthians 10:13 – There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
6. 1 Peters 5:8 – Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.
7. James 1:12 – 15 – Blessed (happy, to be envied) is the man who is patient under trial and stands up under temptation, for when he has stood the test and been approved, he will receive [the victor’s] crown of life which God has promised to those who love Him.
Let no one say when he is tempted, I am tempted from God; for God is incapable of being tempted by [what is] evil and He Himself tempts no one.
But every person is tempted when he is drawn away, enticed, and baited by his evil desire (lust, passions).
Then the evil desire, when it has been conceived, gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully matured, brings forth death.
8. 1 John:2.16 – For all that is in the world – the lust of the flesh [craving for sensual gratification] and the lust of the eyes [greedy longings of the mind]
and the pride of life [assurance in one ‘s resources or the stability of earthly things] – these do not come from the Father but are from the world [itself].
9. 1 Corinthians 6:12 – Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient, and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power.
10. 1 Corinthians 15:33 – Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.”
11: James 4:7 – So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
12. 1 Peters 2:11 – Dear brothers and sisters, you are foreigners and aliens here. So I warn you to keep away from evil desires because they fight against your very souls.
13. Romans 12:1 – 2 – And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice–the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask?
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will is.
14. James 5:15 – 16 – And their prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make them well. And anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven.
Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results.
Take some time to meditate on two of the Scriptures every single day. Ask questions like what does this teach me? What can I do differently? And ask the Holy Spirit to empower you by the grace and the strength that you need to live above that sin.
Remember, evil communications corrupt good manners. At the same time, if you spend too much time with the wrong people, and in the wrong places, you might find yourself struggling.
If you need help with overcoming sexual addictions, please sign up for our free email 5-day series here: UNADDICTED
Let us know if you find this very useful.